Thank you for being part of the Dialoguing.Life community. If you haven't read it yet, check out the Background Information to get an idea about why this community was built and what we hope to achieve.
Our goal is to engage in conversations that are by their nature contentious. You won't agree with everybody, and some views may be upsetting. Disagreeing with people is fine. Disrespecting them is not.
Please keep the tone conversational--reply to the points others make and leave your own thought-provoking ideas. Spouting a list of talking points from a news blog doesn't lend itself to discourse.
And if you find yourself really pissed off, maybe don't reply right away.
5 Basic Rules
- Be nice. You don't have to agree with somebody to treat them with respect.
- Genuine curiosity is totally acceptable. Don't worry about being politically correct, but do be respectful.
- Bad: is Jihad just waged against Christians, or all non-Muslims?
- Good: what is Jihad really about, anyway?
- Explain your feelings and perspective. Understanding why somebody holds their beliefs can be powerful, and is a key reason this community exists.
- Be willing to listen to the feelings and perspective of others.
- Opinions are great and welcomed here. As are facts. Just be sure that if claiming a fact, there's something objective to back it up. And link to that objective source.